What is gnocchi? And is gnocchi vegan?
Gnocchi are little Italian dumplings most commonly made with flour and potato. You can buy pre-made gnocchi (what we use in this recipe) or make your own from scratch. If you're buying store bought gnocchi, double check the ingredients to make sure it's vegan gnocchi. Sometimes gnocchi is made with egg or milk in it, which you want to avoid as a vegan.
What goes well with gnocchi?
There's so many great sauces you can make that go well with gnocchi, from tomato based or creamy based sauce. Even pesto goes well with gnocchi, but make sure that's vegan too as it often has parmesan in it. If you do fancy a pesto, Scala now make a vegan pesto sauce which is available in most major supermarkets. Our recipe today is a creamy dill sauce with added greens.
Here's a recipe shared by one of our customers, Bianca, and it's her current favourite from her personalised My Vegan Meal Plan. Along with it being a quick family meal, it's also easy to reheat for leftovers the next day.
2 Servings [1 Serving Now / 1 Serving for Leftovers Tomorrow]
30 g x Raw/FreshLeek
75 g x Raw Asparagus
0.5 medium [112.5 g] x Raw Zucchini
1.5 tsp [7.5 g] x Olive Oil
1.5 medium [4.5 g] x Fresh/Jar Garlic Clove
150 g x Uncooked Gnocchi Potato
0.75 tsp [1.5 g] x Dry Herb Dill
3.75 tbsp [93.75 ml] x Light VEGAN Cooking Cream
3 tsp [21 ml] x Soy Sauce
45 g x Baby Spinach
0.75 cup [15 g] x Fresh Arugula/Rocket
- Thinly slice leek into rings using the white part of the vegetable. Discard the green leaves.
- Cut woody ends from asparagus & slice.
- Cut zucchini into half rounds.
- Add oil & crushed garlic to hot pan.
- Brown & soften leek, asparagus & zucchini for approximately 3 - 5 mins depending on how soft you like the asparagus to be.
- While vegeables are cooking prepare gnocchi. Cook in salted boiling water for approximately 2 mins. It will float to the top when cooked. Strain well.
- Once gnocchi are ready, add to the pan & season with dill. Stir.
- Spoon in cooking cream & soy sauce. Stir through & combine well.
- Just before turning off the heat, add spinach to pan. Once it begins to wilt remove from stove. Place rocket on serving plate as a bed.
- Serve gnocchi and vegetables on top.
Here's some ideas for vegan cooking cream (we have no affiliation with these compnies)